Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

20090410

Denvermen - Lets Go Surfside





For a short period of time around 1963 the surf instrumental groups ruled the airwaves and Australia was no exception. The top of the heap with numerous hits were the Atlantics and Bombora was the crown jewel.

Next and also with a few hits were the Denvermen an experienced instrumental group and like the Atlantics they ditched their vocalist and for a little while ruled the roost. I've always liked the Denvermen named after the initials of the birthplaces of the members not an American affectation.

Like the Atlantics they were heavily influenced by the Shadows but they didn't have the racing drums and the guitar stabs more a Duane Eddy twangy guitar sound. Their "Bombora" was Lets Go Surfside but this was a laid back moody piece that conjured images of lonely surfers looking into the horizon for the eternal wave.

Anyway I think it was DaBoss who asked for some Australian surf music so here's the first album I could find, a comprehensive look at a very good oz instro group.

Surfside

Here's more info about the band than you really need.

3 comments:

rosomawo said...

Great to see you're back.
Your blog led me to numerous fantastic new horizons I never dreamed to visit.
Thanks

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Great Music. I had never heard of the Denvermen before. I look forward to what you unearth next. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. I'm not from Australia, but had read that this (and other Cane Toad CDs) existed. Now I have it. Thanks again.
KL from NYC (US)